14.5 C
Sunday, September 25, 2022

‘She is traumatized, don’t know if she will go to school’: father of 9-year-old Kashmir girl who survived abduction bid by army

The father of a minor girl, who escaped an abduction attempt by Indian army soldiers in Jammu and Kashmir’s Bandipora last week, says the 4th grader is in trauma and he doesn’t know if she will return to school.

Abdul Majid, the girl’s father, told The Wire that his daughter was returning home from private tuitions on February 10 when a Maruti Alto car came to a halt on the road beside her.

Reports had said the car had two different numbers and people who captured the three accused army soldiers, had found 3 number plates inside the vehicle.

Former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti, who had first raised the alarm, and accused the police of pressurizing the girl’s family, on Wednesday said that the three accused had tried to lure the girl with Rs 500 note in Safapora.

The accused, she wrote on twitter, “have not been charged under Section 354 dealing with molestation charges in the FIR”.

She said prima facie it seems that the FIR is only a charade to sweep this incident under the carpet.

The accused have been reportedly identified as Subedar Harbachan Singh, Naik Amit Tahkor and Hawaldar Manzoor Ahmed.

Senior superintendent of police, Bandipora, Police said the accused have been booked in an FIR filed under sections 341 (wrongful restraint) 363 (kidnapping) and 511 (punishment for attempting to commit offence).

Majid, a small-time cattle trader, said: “There were four persons in the car including a Sikh and a local Kashmiri.”

It was Majid’s friend who was among the crowd which surrounded the accused after hearing the shrieks of the girl, who called him to inform him about the incident.

The minor’s father, Majid said the incident has shattered his family. “She is now scared of coming out of the home and resuming tuitions. After what has happened, I don’t know if she will go to school,” he told The Wire.

The Wire reported that a day after the incident, some army personnel arrived at Majid’s residence “to carry out a search operation”. “We had nothing to hide. But I asked my wife and children to come out and let them burn our home. They were trying to pressurise me to withdraw the case,” he said.

Local police maintain that the investigation is going on in the case and the three army men have been arrested.

Latest news

Please email your videos, stories and opinions to [email protected] and we will publish the selected ones on our news portal.

Related news