31.3 C
Monday, June 27, 2022

Police probe after Gurez man’s family say he was killed in army custody

The death of a man in Gurez of Jammu and Kashmir spared protests with the locals saying that he was killed due to the torture by the Indian army which claimed that the man “slipped to death while assisting the forces personnel in locating some suspects”.

Locals from Tharbal in Gurez said Abdullah Hazam died inside an army camp. They also alleged that the cause of his death is “torture inside the camp”.

Army said that Hazam saw some “suspicious movement” in the forest area ahead of Tharbal village on Friday night.

“He immediately informed the nearest army post about the suspicious activity. Army search party along with him went to search the area in the darkness,” the army said.

“While the party was moving through a slushy patch, he, unfortunately, slipped into the nallah. The forces personnel immediately rescued him and brought him to the nearest military doctor.”

The doctor immediately examined and gave him first aid. However, despite the best efforts of the doctor, Hazam could not be saved and passed away due to his injuries at 8 am, the army said.

Army said that post mortem has been conducted and the body is being handed over to the family, adding all possible assistance is being provided to the family of Hazam.

 Meanwhile, police in a statement said: “Today army unit of 06 Maratha LI approached Police Post Izmarg Gurez Bandipora and reported that one Abdullah Hajam age about 53-54 years resident of Tarbal was accompanying them for a search operation during the intervening night of 30-31 July.”

Police said, “while conducting a search in dense forest area along with a said person, suddenly he slipped into a deep nalla and got injured”.

“He was shifted to Bn headquarters for treatment. However, despite all possible efforts the injured succumbed to his injuries before being shifted to another hospital,” the police statement said.

Police added that “on receipt of the said report, an inquest proceeding has been initiated into the incident to ascertain the facts and circumstances leading to this incident.”

The medico-legal formalities were completed at Sub District Hospital Gurez. Investigation in the matter is in progress, the police said.

Latest news

Please email your videos, stories and opinions to [email protected] and we will publish the selected ones on our news portal.

Related news