14.5 C
Sunday, September 25, 2022

Hyderpora killings: Ramban youth’s father rejects police probe, to move HC for return of his body

The father of Amir Magray, one of the four persons killed in the Hyderpora shootout in Srinagar, on Wednesday rejected the police probe which suggested that his son was a militant, and said he is moving the High Court seeking the return of his body.

The special investigation team (SIT) of the Jammu and Kashmir Police, probing the killings, on Tuesday said while one civilian was killed by the foreign militant, the owner of the building and a local “militant” (Magray) died in the crossfire after being used as a “human shield” by the hiding militant.

A Pakistani militant and three other persons were killed in Hyderpora on November 15 and the police had claimed that all the slain men had links to militancy. The families of the three, alleging foul play, had said that they were innocent, prompting the police to order the inquiry.

This was one of the rare operations carried out jointly by the army and the Jammu and Kashmir Police within the city limits.

“I outrightly reject the police probe as my son can never be a militant or a militant supporter,” Magray’s father Mohd Latief, who has received a state award for killing a Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorist in 2007 and several citations for helping forces to finish militancy from his Gool-Sangaldan block, said.

Latief said he is moving a petition in the Jammu wing of the High Court through his lawyer Deepika Singh Rajawat for the return of his son’s body and will also discuss the next course of action.

Rajawat said all the formalities have been completed and they are placing the petition for the return of the body before the registry on Thursday morning.

On Tuesday, SIT head DIG Sujith K Singh, who had led the operation on November 15, virtually gave a clean chit to the forces but added the team was open to reviewing its findings if any other evidence came to light.

“Our investigation so far has revealed that Dr. Mudasir Gul was killed by the foreign militants hiding inside the building as his body was recovered from the attic. The forces did not go to the attic at all during searches or subsequent operation,” Singh told reporters in Srinagar.

Giving details of the investigation, Singh said the probe had revealed that Amir Magray, the employee of Dr. Gul, was closely associated with the foreign militant — Bilal Bhai — who was killed trying to flee.

Latest news

Please email your videos, stories and opinions to [email protected] and we will publish the selected ones on our news portal.

Related news